Compliance certificates what you need to know


I am selling my property.  Who is responsible to provide compliance certificates (CoC) and what CoC’s should be obtained.


The Seller usually carries the obligation to provide and pay for the CoC’s.  The obligation however could be shifted to the Purchaser by agreement.

Types of Compliance certificates:
Electrical compliance certificate:
  • Valid for a period of 2 years, provided that no alterations have been made to the installation since the certificate was issued. 
  • Only a qualified and registered electrician can issue this certificate.
  • Purpose  – to verify that all the electrical work and installations in your home are in good working order, and comply with the legislated requirements as detailed in the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Electric fence certificate:
  • There is no mention in the legislation of the certificate being valid for a fixed time period once issued.  It is however practise that it is valid for a period of 2 years.
  • Only a qualified and registered electrician can issue this certificate.
  • Purpose – to verify that your electric fence is installed properly and safely.
Gas certificate:
  • A gas certificates is required to be issued after any new installation, alteration, modification or in the event of a change of ownership of property.
  • Types: gas fires or braais, gas stoves and ovens, as well as hot water systems.
  • Only an authorised person registered with the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Safety Association of Southern Africa (LPGAS) can issue this certificate.
  • Purpose – to verify all gas appliances and installations are compliant with safety regulations.
Beetle-free certificates:
  • No longer required by law but are still standard in sale agreements in the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal.
  • Valid for a period of 3 months.
  • Only a qualified wood borer inspector who is a certified member of the South African Pest Control Association can issue this certificate.
  • Purpose  – wood in property is free of any infestation of wood-destroying organisms.
 Water compliance certificate:
  •  Only applicable to properties that falls under the Municipality of Cape Town.
  • It is valid for 6 months.
  • Only a qualified and registered plumber can issue this certificate. 
  • Purpose  – to manage water resources and limit water loss, as well as ensuring health and safety through not allowing cross connections between storm water and sewers. 

It is recommended, prior to listing your property, to do a thorough inspection to understand what CoC’s are required, and what repairs must be done before a certificate can be issued. 

For further assistance or information, please contact us on